While retaining the original distinguished 1887 Boathouse, we have provided Christ’s College with space to accommodate land-based dry-training rowing machines and better facilities for both sexes of rowers, by introducing a new rear section and extending the structure from boundary to boundary.
The light training room provides a modern contrast to the carefully restored historic façade and crew/alumni room. A highly visible glazed link provides a clear circulation route as well as delineates between the new and the historic. High level large glass windows borrow light from the hall into the changing rooms and allow the rooms to feel spacious while remaining private. Solar collectors are located out of view on the inner valley slopes in respect of the Conservation Area.