Cambridge Union Society
|Client||Cambridge Union Society|
|Use||Debating and student centre|
Our planned refurbishment of the Grade II listed Cambridge Union Society has the dual purpose of restoring the core of the 149 year old building designed by Architect, Waterhouse, and in line with the debating society’s belief in free speech, open the building up.
The restoration will tackle the major subsidence and structural irregularities, remove the 1930s concrete façade and the reintroduce lost original Victorian features, such as the dormer windows lost in WWII.
New entrances on Round Church Street and Park Street provide light and modern interventions to the brick buildings, increasing the Society’s public visibility and hopefully encouraging the general public into the 1815 café. Internal works will improve entrance and egress to assist the flow of the 450 potential attendees at debates, increase accessibility and flexibility of use, and enable Footlights to reuse their original home.
In December 2016 Planning Permission and Listed Building Consent was granted for this project together with permission for a new complex for Trinity College on the adjacent site.
The Union’s website contains more information on the rescuing and restoring of the 149 year old building.